To the Depths of Danao

I have flirted with death. I'd like to think that I did.

After finishing an exposure tour in Cebu, the Mabuhay Guides  were sent to Bohol. We finished a two-hour drive to reach Danao Adventure Park, 72 kilometers from Tagbilaran City. My fellow guides and I were excited on what lies ahead—we're going to do The Plunge in Danao Adventure Park. I even had some doubts on the thick cable connected to the edge of each mountain.


But what we were really concerned about was with what lies below. The ridge gives a perfect view of a river running through a series of huge boulders and vast greenery at the bottom.

At the count of three, they will release me to 45 meters of free fall that would result to two seconds of not feeling my pulse.


I began doing my own counting. A good 10 minutes was spent on mounting the safety gear. I had more than an hour to convince myself that I am brave and I won’t even let this bruise my ego. No way. I have no fear. I know no fear.


My fellow guides were watching me, taking pictures of me, and I just smiled and waved at them showing them that I was not afraid. Such bravado. Deep inside, I started to recount the highlights of my 29 years of existence.

I can do this. Too easy. The staff started to count and I started to pray.

Three.

Two.

One.

Bombs away!

Then I squealed like a little girl.

The Plunge makes you feel like a human pendulum. It is mounted over a gorge that is 200 meters high and 300 meters wide. You're just helpless.

The corny way of putting it is like this: It's like falling in  love, you have to let go of everything :-)

A hundred meter diameter swing happens but don’t worry, you won’t hit the other side of the mountain.

* * *

The mountains in Danao served as a hiding place of the longest rebellion in Philippine history, which was led by Francisco Dagohoy. It's said that he had an amulet that protected him from his enemies and “Dagohoy” is just an alias which literally means "Dagon sa hoyohoy" or "Amulet to the Gentle Wind" in Boholano. He has the power to charm the winds that allowed him to jump from one hill to another or from one side of a river to another. 

For 85 years, the Spanish had a hard time quelling the rebellion even after his death. Perhaps that’s the idea behind the Danao Adventure Park, to experience how Francisco Dagohoy and his Boholano compatriots lived in this wilderness. 

The park was formally launched in July 2009 to strengthen tourism in the municipality. It offers eco-adventure tours, including bird watching, caving, kayaking and others. It also caters to extreme adventure tourists who want to do activities such as rappelling, river trekking, rock climbing and ziplining.

The Danao Adventure Park offers educational tours by showing the importance of watersheds, forest preservation and organic farming methods. These three components make up for what the municipal government aptly calls E.A.T. Danao (“E” for ecological, extreme, educational; “A” for Adventure; “T” for Tour).

* * *

After swinging for a few minutes and feeling the cool winds travel into my shorts, I was lifted to the ledge. My heart was still pounding but I’m just happy that my body and somehow my ego were still intact. My hands were sweaty. I can feel my knees buckle because of the rush of adrenalin.

It was like a hero’s welcome. So, who's the man? I was able to convince them to try it. Chito followed and did head first, which was more daring and a threat to my manhood.

That convinced me to do it again. This time, calling on the spirit of the patriot. I am Francisco Dagohoy and I don't squeal.





Danao Adventure Park is comanaged by the Local Government Unit of Danao and various people’s organizations. For more information and inquiries, you can reach Ms. Ana Loinda Saluan (link: alc_saluan@yahoo.com) at +63917-302 1701 (mobile) or Ms. Wiena Saguid (link: eatdanao@ymail.com) at +36921-759 4403 or +63917-302 1700 (mobile).

Popular Posts